Docked panels

Pirahnaplant

Programming Experience
3-5
How can I put Docking panels into my application like the ones in Visual Studio.
Ex. the properties, solution explorer, and toolbox are these.

There is no built in controls that match this (although it is one of the most requested controls people are asking for. There are some good 3rd party controls that can be purchased seperatly and/or some freeware ones that do this but you get what you pay for. Also you can make your own custom controls to mimick this behaviour but again it depends on whether its worth the trouble.

I use a third party package from DevExpress that allows this that I would suggest if it fits your budget.

I resuscitate such a topic as it is useless (i think) to open a new one.
In VS 2010 there is this "DockPanel" control which to me smells of autodocking,autohiding and etc.
Is this true?
I can't seem to be able to dock anything to it.
Or are we still forced to look for 3rd party modules?
In such cases the Avalon Dock project is well documented. AvalonDock

I resuscitate such a topic as it is useless (i think) to open a new one.
In VS 2010 there is this "DockPanel" control which to me smells of autodocking,autohiding and etc.
Is this true?
I can't seem to be able to dock anything to it.
Or are we still forced to look for 3rd party modules?
In such cases the Avalon Dock project is well documented. AvalonDock

That DockPanel is a WPF control, so it can't help you in WinForms. I've never used it myself but my impression is that it's basically just for docking elements to an edge of a container and doesn't have all the slide and pin functionality of the VS tool windows. I may be wrong about that though. I opened the VS 2010 Help and searched for dockpanel and there was lots of information available.

Back