Do you own a MAC?

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
I stop by the local MAC store in the mall from time to time, I keep eying the ole MAC's! I have a feeling some day I may end up not controlling my impulse buying habit and pickup a MAC! I learn so much from their GUI that I want to extend to my apps, so it's a business investment, umm, right?

How many of you own MAC's that are coding for Windows? Have you thought of coding for MAC's? Are you aware of, or have you used, the MONO project?

do they even make MAC's anymore? :p

all the MAC freaks i used to know switched to windows back when winXP came out, i'd forgotten what a MAC even was until this thread

you mean an Apple Macintosh? MAC is a brand of make-up...

I'd own one:
The new OS is based on UNIX, and it's fantastic
Things you could have formerly criticised (being a PC lover) like no-right-mouse-button has changed
The GUI is well thought out and a pleasure to use, and it's very appealing in a professional way.. In the polar opposite that blue-and-green windows XP is very unpleasant to use in a disney way
The new macs have intel core duo chips in them, so they can be formatted and have windows installed on them if you insist
They are far more striking in design, ergonomics and better manufactured than most PCs/laptops
They (macbooks) cost only a little more than an equivalently specced Dell or IBM laptop

It begs the question.. what is a Mac anyway? Its converging to the point where you dont say "i want a PC" or "i want a mac".. you just say "i want a computer that runs microsoft office and satisfies my aesthetic needs"

And if a laptop you see in the mac store suits you to do thet, then buy it - the apple on the lid doesnt put you in a separate technical camp any more than a Vaio logo would (but there is a snobbery value, i must admit)

Praise the iPod.. thats where the cash came from to revive apple's other business interests.

I dont own a Mac, but I would if they sorted a docking station solution out - regardless of whether it has a star trek like magnetic power plug, I cant be bothered unplugging 17 wires just to take my unit home at night.. Hence the reason why I bought an IBM thinkpad. Possibly the ugliest laptop in the business, but the hardware is great, well supported, a huge range of professional options and it was cheap for the spec. Use whatever tools necessary to earn the money to do whatever it is you call fun! :)

On the Mono project notion, it harks back to a comment I made about .NET a long time ago.. Namely that .NET was java with the appeal pyramid reversed (java is one syntax, many platforms => wide appeal, .net is many syntaxes, one platform -> wide appeal). I Noted that if a .NET fw were developed for another system, then a .NET app should run in the same way a java one does. Its a long uphill because i dont doubt that .NET leans on windows specifics quite extensively, but it's interesting to hear it is being done and thankls for the pointer, neal!
In some ways it's moot in the context of Macs (because as noted, Macs and PCs are the same thing now, except Macs run a curvy gorgeous unix windowing environment) though I can understand the urge for spreading .NET to other platforms (MS already did it in terms of small devices) so that way we can have a washing machine that runs on .NET :D
The interesting thing is that, since macos is technically unix, it might be quite easy for the MONO team to bring .NET to linux, sunos, bsd, at similar times

I still prefer Windows, been using it too long to change, and don't feel like adjusting to something thats less compatible with the world of gaming and software :)

Yes, my wife comes from a Mac family. I highly recommend the iBook 12. At 5lbs it makes a great light-duty machine. I mainly use it for surfing and media, but my wife uses all the office apps on it.

Jamison

I'm amazed at the operating system stats says 3.6% for Mac and increasing, that it is actually that low, given it's high professional customer base in DTP/graphics/music recording industries. See the OS platform stats http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

No, I don't own a Mac, not that I'm aware of. Except for PC the OS is usually not specified, there could be one in my microwave oven ;)

I still prefer Windows, been using it too long to change, and don't feel like adjusting to something thats less compatible with the world of gaming and software :)

Take it you didnt read the part of my post that said "Modern macs use Intel technology and can run Windows" ? :) i.e., next time you go shopping for a computer, consider an Intel based mac - you get access to two worlds in one, not emulated. For more info, google for Bootcamp

Back