Distribute small programs without the .net framework

Brainbug

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,

is it possible for, say, really small projects which use barely any fency controls, to distribute (and run) WITHOUT any use of the .net framework? - Maybe there is a way to put the used controls and whatever in a single dll-file or something which allows the program to run without necessarily the 20 MB framework to be installed?

Would really like some hints about that, sucks to have to force the user to download that huge framework for a small application of 20kB ... :cool:

Thanks,

Brainbug

Not all our end users will even have internet access. Frameworks and runtimes are a necessary evil and I do understand the points that each of you were getting across. Thanks.

FYI - I havve used Postbuild by XENOCODE - I use it primarily to obfuscate code

you can make a stand-alone executable - whaich (of course) basically adds in the required framework into a single executable

It works...

The file size, however can end up being quite large - with experience you can trim this down -

ssampson, ClickOnce is a better option in that regard, which let you check for framework as the prerequisite bootstrapper and allows this download from MS without adding it to your own distribution. But that was not the question, the question was to run .Net application without the framework installed.

but..... XENOCODE makes a SINGLE executable that does NOT require the user to install the framework - which in a sense - from the USER point of view, means they do NOT have to install the framework -

this executable I am talking about is NOT an installation package - it is a standalone executable - it does NOT install anything - no frameowrk - nothing- which does answer the question, no??

check out the website http://www.xenocode.com/Products/Postbuild/

OnClick certainly is the better idea - of course Installshield is a better utility in many ways - granted oneclick comes with VS - and Express tools

Cheers

Well, kinda got the point, but Brainbug only wanted to distribute 20 kilobytes not 20 megabytes...

Yes - true - I got that - it was more of a response to indicate that it works, and I have used it - not that I LIKE the idea - a well managed IT department should be pushing these updates via RIS anyway - therefore there would be no issue - many solutions - some good - some bad - :)

Cheers

Back