Displaying Related Data From A Database

curlydog

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,
I'm after some pointers on how to display related data in a vb forms application.

The data originates from excel spreadsheets which are imported into a sqlserver database. As different rows in the spreadsheet had data in differing numbers of columns (some may have one entry per row, some may have 20 or more) I wasn't able to create a database table which could cater for all eventualities in a single row.

In order to overcome this I simply created a table that stored the row number, the column number, the column heading and the data within the cell. In the database, data from a single row in the spreadsheet is related by a common row number.

I'm trying to figure out a way of displaying this data in a vb form. This is my first forms application that I'm trying to convert from a vb.net website. On the website I used nested repeaters. The parent repeater was simply the distinct row number from the database. The child repeater displayed the column data based on a relation betweenthe two. It worked brilliantly, but I can't find an equivalent way of doing it in forms.

In essence my parent control needs to display the row number only, which groups the column records together. There can be upwards of 1000 rows to display at once. The child control needs to display the related column data, generally around 3-5 rows in itself. I'd like the method of display to allow the user to see adjacent rows, and be able to scroll through them, rather than displaying one at a time.

I'm new to forms so don't have a great grasp of all of the controls and how they can be used. I'm currently trying to nest datagridview control, but can't get it to work as I would wish.

I'd really appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction.

thanks
Jason

I've had a look at datarepeaters, but nesting them seems to get overly complicated. This is particulalrly the case when dealing with a record that has a large amount of text. There would be scrollbars all over the place. I'd really like a control that just grows with the size of the text to be displayed.

I may have another look at datarepeaters if I don't get a more suitable suggestions. As I say, I'm open to all suggestions.

Cheers
Jason

Back