Differences between 2k5pro and 2k5 standard

shawne

Programming Experience
10+
What are the major differences between VS 2k5 pro and 2k5 standard? The price difference between them from what I found is fairly substantial. Anyone possibly have a link with a side by side comparison? Thanks!

Ok, here's the way it is....

Pro has full menu options and defaults, standard has a simplified version

Pro supports XML/XLST, standard just supports XML

Pro has crystal reports, standard doesn't

Pro supports local and remote debugging, standard only supports local

Pro can integrate SQL Server, standard doesn't

Pro comes with SQL Server Developer edition, standard comes with express
In addition i don't think you can create a DLL with the standard edition by the same means as pro. In the professional edition it's justa matter of clicking the build button, where as in the standard edition you need to invoke the compiler manually form a command prompt to build the DLL. Also i think that there is a difference with the server explorer but for the life of me i can't remember what.

Looks like most of what I need to do (for now) I can do in express. One last question. Are you legally permitted to develope and market an application using Express?

Last edited:
Yep, you can use an app built with express for anything you like, commercial or otherwise.

Originally Said By Microsoft
There are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the express editions

The only thing you may find is that as you get to a point of development wheere you may want that extra functionality, or, you may not so if you don't need it, dont spend the money

Back