Question Difference between the setup package and contents of the bin\release folder.

fazal.shaikh

Programming Experience
1-3
friends,

i have apps which needs several testing before i publish/deploy it.

for i apps, i m able to give the files and folders in bin\release folder as a zipped packet to my user, and he then extracts and runs the app.

but, in recent scenario, that packet did not work. then i made a deployment setup for that app, and rolled out a setup package. this did work.

What is the reason behind it, if any?

thanks in advance.
Fazal Shaikh

It might be that the end user was trying to extract the zip file to the Program Files directory and (s)he didn't have permission to do so, whereas an installer would get permission from the OS (if the user has an admin account it would be granted automatically or they would be prompted for the username and password of an admin account).

I generally find it easier to just provide an installer (I also use the Setup & Deployment project type in VS) for 2 reasons: (1) The installer will get the needed permissions (2) it doesn't add any time (3 or 4 clicks) to make the "next version" installer.

The user never unzip the file in program files directory, he either unzip on desktop or in c:\.
For releases and other stuff, i do it in setup packages. but for apps not in production i just give the packet to user and (s)he give me the feedback.
accordingly i do changes. after several cycle the app is put into production.

but only this time it did not work.
i dunno why?
thanks and regards,

Setup/Publish packages may also copy files to some folders, for example a database include to the data directory (which is application folder only during debugging). And it may install prerequisites according to Prerequisites dialog, examples .Net Framework version, database server, Powerpacks.

Latest posts

Back