Resolved Difference between Projects and Solutions?

Hans Haupt

Programming Experience
10+
I created a new Project, from my VFP experience, I can compile it into an executable.
Now I also have a Solution. What is that? How are they different?

And why is it that when I save whatever, it is NOT saved. What gives?

A solution can include several projects.

You can have many forms in a project.
When you create an app or website in Visual Studio, you start with a project. In a logical sense, a project contains all files that are compiled into an executable, library, or website. Those files can include source code, icons, images, data files, and so on. A project also contains compiler settings and other configuration files that might be needed by various services or components that your program communicates with.

Basically, each project corresponds to an application (EXE) or library (DLL). When you build a project, that EXE or DLL is the primary output. The most common use for a solution is to contain multiple projects where one compiles to an application EXE and the other(s) compile to a library DLL that that application references. I'm working on a solution now where there are two web application projects, two unit test projects and eight library projects. The web applications both reference some of the DLLs and some of the DLLs reference the other DLLs.

Basically, each project corresponds to an application (EXE) or library (DLL). When you build a project, that EXE or DLL is the primary output. The most common use for a solution is to contain multiple projects where one compiles to an application EXE and the other(s) compile to a library DLL that that application references. I'm working on a solution now where there are two web application projects, two unit test projects and eight library projects. The web applications both reference some of the DLLs and some of the DLLs reference the other DLLs.
I see. I can imagine a series of functions compiled into a DLL for use in multiple independent projects. Currently don't need that in my project, but is good to know once I am much one proficient in VB.NET.

Thank you very much.

So far, I have set up a menu and a toolbar, the menu pointing to multiple forms (am working in the first, fretting on how to set up the second), and the toolbar to do the Add, Delete, Save and Exit etc for each form. Once I have two forms set up I will have to attach SQL, connect a form to a table and link the form objects to fields in a record. Once I got all that I have something to show and maybe get my project approved...

It truly helps to have a little hand setting up a basic understanding in a new environment. Thank you so much!

Back