Dictionary

PLH

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello all, I have this app that I created a year ago is basically a dictionary that shows word's definitions. Now, it is using a MS access database and dataset which is in disconnected mode (I mean that it is not created in design time and it exist only in the run time.) To find a record that user selects a word in the list box I used a function that loops through the words column and returns the row number in the dataset and from there I get the definition. The problem is that if the database is too big it is going to take more time to find the word.

Questions:

1. Is any one knows how the row's find member works? Is it doing a binary search or it is finding directly by the primary key?

2. If row's find method is more effective, how can I use it in the disconnected mode? I tried to use it but I got an exception that says "The table does not have a primary key column. In the database I do have a primary key column but it seems that during the fill method it doesn't copy the primary key to the dataset's table.

How can I set the primary key in the dataset's table when the column already exists?

3. What would be the most effective way to get the row in the disconnected mode?

Thank u in advance!

VB.NET Dictionary

Well, finally i found some time to make a demo. This is i beleive simpliest way to make a dictionary with MSaccess as backend. However, all suggestions are welcome ant thank you in advance ... also, please let me know if there is something that is not working properly.

recnik.png

note: you will find some text in Macedonian. Well, if you mind that i would be glad to translate it for you :)

Regards ;)

Attachments

• VBNETDictionary.zip
    50.1 KB · Views: 70
Back