devtoolcafe Interview: SpreadsheetGear founder & CEO, Joe Erickson

devtoolcafe

Programming Experience
10+
JP: Hi Joe, Thanks for taking the time to talk with devtoolcafe this week. When was SpreadsheetGear LLC founded?
JE: I started SpreadsheetGear in June of 2003 after 20 years working for companies such as Informix, Sybase, Tidestone Technologies (I created and led the development of Formula One VBX / ActiveX / Java for ten years), and Actuate Corp.

JP: I remember Tidestone & Formula One, I think they had an office in the UK. That product line looks like a backwater for Actuate now – is that why you went out on your own?
JE: I was co-founder and CTO of Tidestone Technologies Inc which published Formula One. Tidestone was sold to Actuate in May of 2001 and I left a few months later. My official reason for leaving Actuate was the fact that I was tired of dealing with the limitations of Java and Actuate would not let me build Formula One for .NET.

JP: What’s your favourite thing about owning SpreadsheetGear LLC?

JE: When I started SpreadsheetGear, my primary objective was to build the best spreadsheet technology possible while making a decent living without the office politics I had experienced in most of my previous jobs. Now, I am fortunate to be able to work with great people including my son Chris and my brother Terry, and it is rewarding to hear from customers who find that SpreadsheetGear helps them to do their job better and / or faster.

Please click here to read the full interview

Back