Developing Web app

Programming Experience
1-3
I have been asked to rewrite a web app such that it is easy to code and follow. This web app simply connects to mulitple SQL Servers and returns reporting data to a web page.

The original app is written using asp and html. I was thinking of rewriting the app using vb.net. I wrote a small desktop app about 5 years ago using vb.net and that is the extent of my .net experience as most of my background is as DBA.

My question, should I develop in vb.net to rewrite the web app? If so, is vs.net the appropriate platform to do so? Any other suggestions?

I greatly appreciate any and all your expert advice.

Thanks,
Ivan

My question would be are you being asking to make a couple of enhancements, or when you say rewrite, are they actually asking you to tear this thing down, and rewrite it from scratch?

If all you are doing is making a couple/three enhancements then I'd vote for just staying with what you have (asp/html)

But, if you are really going to do a rewrite, then I'd suggest moving to ASP.NET within which you can use VB.NET and ADO.NET.

Thank you for replying. They are asking me to tear it down and rewriting it from scratch. In essence they want me to make it easy to follow moving forward.

My question in order to code it using asp.net and ado do I need to download vs.net?

Thanks!

The various express versions of the development platforms contained within Visual Studio are available for downloading. You would need to do that one at a time.

Given the nature of the task at hand, I would look into purchasing the actual product (VS 2010).

The express versions do not have all of the features that the full blown Visual Studio versions have (which is why the express versions are free).

If your company is a small company with few employees, you can apply to Microsoft's spark program and they will give you free softwares for development and you can use them for 3 years and pay $100 at the end of three years, which is a very good deal. Check it you.

Back