Deploying a project with oledb references

f4vescent

Programming Experience
1-3
I developed a vb.net com component that uses some classes in the system.data.OLEDB namespace to query the data in an access database. The component works great on the development server. However, when I deploy the component on another server and then execute it, everything but the oledb code works. I get an error message that states "could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' or one of its dependencies"

The System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll file referred to in the message is on the deployment server in the following two locations:

M:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_System.EnterpriseServices_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_7d5f3790

and

M:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Please note that the deployment server does not have an installation of vb.net on it. Is this my problem? Or, do I somehow need to register one of the System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll files already existing on the deployment server?

have you tried setting the dll to be included in the project?

It looks like you have two differing versions of the framework. Have you got the .Net framework 1.1 installed on the deployment server.

jwh, you don't manually add framework class libraries to a project. They are part of the framework and located in the GAC.

d'oh - didn't read very thoroughly!!

Response to responses

It's funny, I deployed the component on another server and it worked just fine. The original server on which I deployed the component must have an issue. I just get confused as to when it is necessary to install .net on the deployment server/computer and when it is not. Seems that all of the com components I have developed work just fine on servers that have no installation of .net. I am assuming that the setup project for a com component deploys some aspects of .net on the target machine, but which ones? I just don't have a clear picture of the .net deployment strategy.

Back