Default browser

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
Hi, where does one set the default browser for VS.NET?

When at work VS.NET2005 opens instantly as I am on the corp network and as such IE is active and online.

When at home Firefox is my default browser and IE although works takes some time to load as it is configured to corp settings.

This is usually no problem as when at home I don't use IE just Firefox.

However when VS.NET2005 loads at home there is a very long painful delay while it tries to connect via IE which it does eventually but the delay is a pain.

I would prefer not to have VS.NET2005 access any browser when first loading. I am unable to find in the config how to disable this functionality.

Any tips please?

Thanks

Main menu Tools > Options > Environment, Startup (check 'show all settings' if you don't see Environment, Startup). Options StartPage/HomePage try access internet, the other options doesn't.

My startup does not mention homepage etc.

But I have the option webbrowser which does.

It is here that when I try to remover the entries and apply I get an error saying

Home page location must be specified when 'use default Internet Explorer setting' is unchecked.

It is this setting I cannot locate to either check or uncheck? :confused:

You mean you don't have these startup options?

Attachments

• startups.jpg
    startups.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 41
Yep I have those and I have it set to empty environment too.

But here at work I open VS and it opens the empty environment in a blink of an eye.

At home when off corp network the splash screen is displayed for nearly 2 minutes before the empty environment is displayed.

When at home if I open IE it does the same as it is configured for corp network which is why when at home I use firefox which is not corp configured and thus opens instantly.

I can only presume VS is trying to access IE hence the delay at home :confused:

Hi, although the programs you brought to my attention did not show anything to help me with this problem, they are very useful utilities...thanks;)

I found myself having weird errors happening that I could not explain with VS, crystal reports etc so desided to remove VS.NET and reinstall

Result all my problems have gone....so my setup must have been scuppered in some way!

Thanks for input ;)

I had a look with some port monitor software upon startup of Express and 'Empty environment', but don't see any activity with mine. With the 'Start Page' displaying feeds there also was no immediate activity when starting the Studio, but I saw an internet update was initiated a little while afterwards (within 20 seconds after the startup perhaps).

Mmm looks like I spoke too soon:(

I find that if I have VPN running VS.NET starts instantly but without the VPN running and therefore orphaned from the corp network VS.NET displays the splash screen for over 2 minutes before it loads the empty environment.

I cannot see what it is doing apart from it must have something to to with it trying to access IE.

All other programs etc work fine when at home and so does IE after an long delay where it says it is discovering proxy settings etc.

I use Firefox at home rather than IE to circumvent this problem, but if VS.NET trys to access IE on startup then this is a problem for me:confused:

Aha if you mean in IE then this does not work as we have it set to 'use automatic configuration script'

Hence why I use Firefox. What I need to know is how do I stop VS.NET from trying to use IE at all on start?

Latest posts

Back