Answered Debug very slow...

ALX

Programming Experience
10+
Something happened during my most recent build of a project that coincided with the time the latest VS2019 update came available. After the update, all debug stepping through the code was barely moving along. Where I used to click through the code as quickly as I could hit the mouse button, I now had to wait a couple of seconds for each line to execute. If the code called another process, the wait time could be many, many seconds. I tried restoring the system to a date before the update, which did not help. So I revived an earlier version of my project and copied all project files with a later date over to the old build. This solved the problem, but I'm still wondering what could have caused this issue so I might avoid it in the future. Since one version of my project works fine and the other does not leads me to believe it's not a problem with VS. Has anyone else experienced this ???

I am aware of this issue, and I am waiting on a colleague to get back to me with some advice, and steps you can take as I recall they've experienced this issue before. As far as I am aware, this is a bug, and a known one at that. I would suggest that you ensure you have all of the windows updates as well as any runtime patches. If I get any advice worth sharing, I will reply here. Meanwhile, try the updates and see if this resolves your issues.

There is also a range of fixes on this site Visual Studio debugging/loading very slow
Most of which appear to be fixed in .Net 4.8 as also linked above.

You may also find this useful VS 2017 15.8.1 Debugging Extremely Slow - Developer Community and Update Visual Studio and https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Something else which has been reported to cause issues for users, is AV, and how much disc use is actually being excessively used when debugging with an AV enabled. Some AV's have been reported to do heavy disc operations while the debugger is at play. Disabling your AV has also been reported as a possible fix for this culprit.

In your debugging options, are symbol downloads ticked, as well as JIT?

OK ... Updating to the .NET Framework 4.8 solved the dilemma. The offending code now steps through perfectly. Thank You both for the input. John has slayed so many dragons for me over the years I feel like I need to buy him a new car, or lunch, or something... If I could, I would !!!

I already have a car, so we'll settle with a beer maybe some day :)

Back