DB Connection in crystal reports

ramanaths

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi
I just created my first crystal report on vb.net using the wizard. It asked me to connect to the db, select table, fields and click on the finish button. So far so good.

Now, I am unable to find where i can edit the database connectivity (server name / username / password).

Actually i have a local server where i do the testing but the actual data resides on a remote one. I have an app settings file which has the IP for local and remote. I need to take the connection string from this app settings file.

Please help me out on how i can go about doing this.

Thnx.

Thnx kulrom. I tried that out.

I connected to my db using the OLE DB (ADO) option.

What happens now is that I get the Database login box prompting for password each time i run the report. Obviously the end user shouldn't be entering the password each time to view a report!

Is that how it works or am i missing some setting? Please lemme know.

Is there some way to give the connection string through the program or is this the only way (thru the UI) that this can be set up?

Last edited:
That's why i told you that ODBC (DSN) would be most appropriate solution for the purpose (by my opinion and experience) ... as you can type DB password while you are establishing ODBC conn and your users wouldn't be prompted for the same ...

Let me know if you need additional assistence

Cheers ;)

I created a ODBC and selected that under database fields in the field explorer. it asked me for the password and i entered that and set up the table/columns and ran the report.

but i still get the login prompt. not sure what i'm doing wrong.

kulrom

under user dsn i click Configure...give name of data source and server. Click Next button. i get the authentication screen. i have selected 'With SQL Server authentication using login ID and password entered by the user. here i give the user id and password. i test the connection and it works fine.

In field explorer->database fields ->verify db i get the authentication prompt where i enter the password. i get a msg box that says db is up to date.

lemme talk to my network admin and see if i do not have some rights or permissions which may be why i'm getting the authentication prompt every time.

thnx 4 your help.

Back