dataset won't fill

Anne Marie

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,

This is a web app that seems to have stopped working as expected after I did a release configuration. All of a sudden, my dataset will not fill. Line 465 --
Line 464: Public Sub FillDataSet(ByVal dSet As dsAnalystJobs)
Line 465: daParent_AnalystJobs.Fill(dSet)
Line 466: daChild_Analysts.Fill(dSet)
Line 467: daChild_Jobtypes.Fill(dSet)

Here is the stack trace:
[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: dataSet]
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +103
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38
Analyst_In_Time.data.FillDataSet(dsAnalystJobs dSet) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Analyst_In_Time\data.vb:465
Analyst_In_Time.Admin.RefreshDatabindings() in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Analyst_In_Time\Admin.aspx.vb:66
Analyst_In_Time.Admin.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Analyst_In_Time\Admin.aspx.vb:56
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +29
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +724

Can anyone help me? Thanks,

Yes, I did change from debug to release before deployment.

Then today when I discovered I had a problem, I changed it back to debug. Since this is my first deployed project, I'm lost as to what happened here.

I'm new to this so ..

Has your system .Net Framework been upgraded i.e. from 1.1 to 2.0

since the last release?
OR
If you are loading a dataset, is there a chance that the data

does have a field with no value in it ( null data ) where as before

the data never had blank data?

OR

Has someone changed the properties of your dataset so that now

Null Data is not allowed?

Sorry, I'm just trying to think of anything that might help.

Questions lead to Answers......

No, my system has not been upgraded to .net framework 2.0 since the release.

I don't believe null data is present now that wasn't before. The data has not changed.

No one has access to the code except me, so no one changed the properties of the dataset (unless I inadvertently did).

Here's a little more info: I've created a data component class that handles the dataset (as shown in the Visual Studio .net Walkthroughs book). So, I tried to re-generate the dataset in Visual Studio IDE, but it does not work!! It gives me the message: "Visual Studio could not create an instance of the dataset. Confirm that the class name is a valid dataset class." (See attachment) So, what class name is this message referring to?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Err_GenerateDSet.doc
    56 KB · Views: 24
More possible....

1. Corrupt DataSet - Can you open it with another app.
2. Some sort of security issue - try open from another local app
3. Installation of other software that has changed/over-wrote dll or
un registered a dll

Which OS are you using?
Which type of database?

I can open the dataset with another app. I created a new project in Visual Studio and added my data component to it. I was able to generate a dataset and fill a data grid with the data. So, the component seems to be fine.

Should I delete the corrupted dataset from my project and then try to generate a new one?

If you do delete it, make a backup first.

It seems like a good idea to me however I'm not experienced enough to
recommend it.

The fun continues..... By the way, the os is xp pro on dev machine. SQL Server 2000.

So, I deleted the dataset (after backing up project) and tried to generate it again. It gave me the message "There were problems generating the dataset, rebuild and try again" (see attachment). When I said okay to the message, I saw that the dataset was back -- (even after I had deleted it). I did rebuild project, but no errors came up to fix.

So, it appears that the bad dataset won't go away or it is generating even though the message says there were problems generating the dataset.

This is a pain.

Attachments

• Err_probDataSetGen.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 21
I know, I wish John were here.

On the new project that you successfully added the data component to,

look at all the properties of the component and compare them with the

project that is in duress. If there are differences, try changing the new

project to match the old, one at a time - looking for errors...and this may

give some clues.

You can also select and copy all the controls on a form and paste them

to a new project - if it's like vb.

Hi,

All the properties matched. So I re-created the web form in the working project (copy/paste controls and code).

Then, I was able to instantiate the dataset by dragging it into the component tray of the form (which I could not do on the ailing web form/dataset).

Now, miraculously, the form works. So I suppose I will have to re-create the rest of the objects in the working project.

I still don't know what corrupted the dataset or form. Is it possible that going from debug configuration to release configuration had something to do with it?

Thanks for helping me.

Wow, I hope you can re-create the rest of the objects. Let us/me know

if you can't. As for the cause, I don't know but I have seen a form

get sick - kind of a welcome to the world of data processing thing that

is in all software.

Good luck! and Thanks for the Thanks

Back