Dataset Visualizer doesn't visualize any more!

Menthos

Programming Experience
10+
Hi guys,

I have an odd problem whereby my VB.NET 2005 dataset visualizer doesn't show any information in the window. It used to, and the very same project (that I'm developing on a desktop in the day and laptop at night) works fine with the copy installed on my laptop.

I've tried a repair of the installation, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Anyone seen anything similar? a trawl of the web bought up nothing.

TIA

Menthos

The data handling features of VS 2005 are great as far as functionality goes but complete cr*p as far as reliability and stability are concerned. I was originally using VB Express and was completely unable to create a Data Source, even after a reinstall. When I started using VS 2005 I could create Data Sources but it was still flaky and will crash every time I try to change an existing DataSet. There may not be an easy solution to your problem other than applying SP1 when it arrives, which should be relatively soon. The beta version of SP1 is still available so you could try it, but that may require a completely clean install when the release version appears.

Well SP1 is certainly worth a try - whilst a full re-install is painful, it won't be the end of the world (Just the best part of a morning :) )

Cheers,
Menthos

Well just completed the SP1 patching and can confirm that it hasn't resolved the problem - still no dataset preview available with dataset visualizer.

Any other suggestions guys?

Cheers,
Menthos

Just a quick question.. what do you mean when you say the "Dataset Visualizer"
If you could take a look at the DDS link in my signature, it presents an image of the DataSet designer surface .. i believe i've experienced what youre experiencing but i'm not sure whether we are talking about the same thing

CJard - Nope that's not the Dataset Visualizer... when debugging code with datasets, you can get a 'snapshot' of the dataset by either highlighting the reference and hovering over it to get a tooltip with a magnifying glass to get to the Visualizer, or just add a watch to the dataset and you'll get the magnifying glass just the same.

And to everyone else - I seem to have resolved it! I copied the whole of the project across from my laptop to my desktop (only difference is the connection string to a sql db) and lo and behold the Visualizer works again.

Obviously there was some corruption in one of the files.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this :)
Menthos

Possible Solution

Hi guys,

I have an odd problem whereby my VB.NET 2005 dataset visualizer doesn't show any information in the window. It used to, and the very same project (that I'm developing on a desktop in the day and laptop at night) works fine with the copy installed on my laptop.

I've tried a repair of the installation, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Menthos

Hi:

Rename the folder C:\Documents and Settings\$USER NAME$\ApplicationData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0
the ide build it again and you lose some conifguration but i resolve the problem with that.

thx

Back