Dataset fill

michaelw

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi i am trying to connect to a database using an sql adapter, when i fill the dataset i get an error in the output window it says

"Unhandled Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database requested in login 'testbooking'. Login fails."

But the server does exsit and so does the database

i can connect using an oledb adapter but i really dont want to have to

any help would be great

here is what connection should look like:

SQL Autentication:

data source=YOURSERVERNAME;persist security info=False;initial catalog=YOURDATABASENAME;user id=sa;password=YOURPASS;

Windows Autentication:

data source=YOURSERVERNAME;persist security info=False;initial catalog=YOURDATABASENAME;integrated security=SSPI;

And is it a SQL Server? That's the only way the SQL Adapter is going to work. The fact that you can connect using the OLEDB Adapter leads me to suspect that it isn't a SQL Server, but something else./

Tg

No it is SQL server it just giives me an error with the sql adapter method. I will try you way and keep you posted thanks

Point of order your honor! It's a bad idea to use the sa user for connecting to the database, case DBA vs SA-User-With-No-Password of 1997. I move that the user be stricken from the access list.

If you do post your connectionstring, post it EXACTLY as it is, but use **** for the password.... we don't need to see that.

Tg

connection with the database

if your dataadapter contains no tables then dataset cannot be populated and it will show an error when you write the command

sqlclient.sqldataadapter.fill(dataset(),<tablename>)

so check if your dataadapter is not linked with any table of your database

Hi thanks for your help with this, i have moved on and am now using the oledb adapter but have come across anothe problem, i generate this through the wizard and when it has finsihed it tells me it can not create the update or delete commands.

My project as it stands is this:

I have an excel sheet with two coloums one called URN and one invoiecno, i import the data into a dataset > ds1, i then have a tables called jobs in sql server i create a dataset> ds2 with coulms urn and invoice number. i wish to update the sql server table coloum invoice number to the invoice number in the excel sheet where the urn are the same in ds1 & ds2

any help would be great

The erro message i get is:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in system.data.dll
Additional information: Update requires a valid UpdateCommand when passed DataRow collection with modified rows.

my code is

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

DataSet11.Clear()

OleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(DataSet11)

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

OleDbDataAdapter1.Update(DataSet11)

MessageBox.Show("Datbase Updated")

End Sub

u have used the following set of code:

PrivateSub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

OleDbDataAdapter1.Update(DataSet11)

MessageBox.Show("Datbase Updated")

EndSub

this is the right one:-

whenever u are updating dataadapter in this manner then u must first instantiate the commandbuilder object.

dim objcommandbuilder as new sqlclient.sqlcommandbuilder(objdataadapter)

oledbdatadapter1.update(dataset11,<tablename>)

u have to provide the tablename option.

ok manged to sort previous post out have one more snag?

on the line

objdataview.Table(0).ow(inum).item("URN") = "TEST"

it says it can not be indexed because it has no default value

Back