DataColumn Expression Serial No Generating

yousuf42

Programming Experience
1-3
Dear All,

I have datatable with a Column as "Sno".

This DataTable is bound with DataGrid

Now I want to generate Row Numbers for 'Sno' DataColumn through expression

VB.NET:
Public Function Tempinvoice(ByVal DataTableName As String) As DataTable
dt = New DataTable(DataTableName)

Dim dcsno As DataColumn

dcsno = New DataColumn("Sno", GetType(Integer))

dcsno.Expression =  ' Here I need your help to finish

dt.Columns.Add(dcsno)
dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ProdID", GetType(String)))
dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("Price", GetType(String)))

Return dt
End Function

can anyone help me please?

Last edited:
Autoincrement also won't work because if we click DG every time it will give a new number. if we delete a row it won't update 'sno' column bound with DG.

any help pls..

Thanks in advance

Now I want to generate Row Numbers for 'Sno' DataColumn through expression

I think I understand what you mean.

I have done something similar, although it uses my datagrid to work out the next incremental number. In my app, a WorkNumber can have multiple revisions, so I have my RevisionNumber being an incremental number, so that my SQL table allows

1 - 1
1 - 2
1 - 3
2 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 1
4 - 1
4 - 2

etc etc.

There may be a way of manipulating the code so that it can use something other than the grid.

I've attached the code I use (trimmed down to only necessary stuff), hopefully that may be able to help a bit.

VB.NET:
If Me.grdRevision.VisibleRows = 0 Then
                Dim tblRev As DataTable = Me.DsDevelopment.Tables("DWR_Revision")
                Dim DR As DataRow = tblRev.NewRow()
                DR("DWRNumber") = Me.lblTSDWR.Text
                DR("RevisionNumber") = 1
                tblRev.Rows.Add(DR)

Else
                Me.grdRevision.MoveLast()
                Dim tblRev As DataTable = Me.DsDevelopment.Tables("DWR_Revision")
                DR("DWRNumber") = Me.lblTSDWR.Text
                DR("RevisionNumber") = Me.grdRevision.Columns("RevisionNumber").Value + 1
                tblRev.Rows.Add(DR)

End If

So, if the grid has no rows already, it will add the RevisionNumber as 1. When the 2nd row is added, it looks at me.grdRevison.Columns("RevisionNumber").Value , and adds 1 to it, thus becoming 2.
When the 3rd row is added, it does the same routine, and adds 1 to 2 so revisionNumber entered in that row is 3.

Notice I use Me.grdRevision.MoveLast() when a row exists - this is so it will go to the last row (the one with the highest rev. no) and use this RevisionNumber to add the 1 to.

Hope that's of some help.

Thank you very much cjard, Arg81,

Sorry for misquoting.

Actually sno is "ItemNo"

DataTable has "ItemNo", "ProdId", "prodName" Columns and it is bound with a DataGrid.

Now the "ItemNo" is Row Number ( Rowindex 0 is ItemNo 1, Rowindex 1 isItemNo 2, and so on.

If we set "ItemNo" column to Autoincrement, every time you click a new row then exit from the row then click on new row it increases number without keeping its sequence. (for example click newrow 2 exit then click row 2 again it will increase 3,4 and on). Also another shortcoming of the Autoincrement is if I delete a row in middle of Datagrid it won't update "ItemNo" column of all rows in DG(I mean DataTable) with sequence.

So I think best thing to overcome this problem is to define "ItemNo" column with Expression. (Datatable.Rowindex +1 or somehow. Sorry I can't overcome this)

If you have any other idea to overcome this or through expression with code is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If we set "ItemNo" column to Autoincrement, every time you click a new row then exit from the row then click on new row it increases number without keeping its sequence.

That's correct. It's the problem I was facing and I found the solution as I put in my last post, using the value in the grid.

However, if you're not using a grid to display your data then I'm not sure the best way to try and help.

Maybe someone else will, sorry for not being able to help much further.

Thanks Arg81

I'm also using DataGrid only

You are .Net 3.0. I'm using VS2003 and .Net 1.1 only. So some of commands (like "Me.grdRevision.MoveLast()" and "grdRevision.VisibleRows" ) in your syntax unavailable to me and I'm unable to use your code.

I think DataColumn.Expression can do this But, sofar I could not do this.

Any help is most appreciated.

I'm actually using VS2005 .net 2 - not sure why it's suddenly saying .net 3

The code worked perfectly in my old application, which was in 1.1

Instead of using IF grdRevision.VisibleRows = 0 THEN you can use IF dataSet.dataTable.rows.count = 0 THEN instead.

The moveLast is an important part though, it might of been slightly different in VS2003, what this does is allows the user to select any row in the grid, but when they add a new row, it goes to the last one before taking the value of RevisionNumber and adding 1 to it.
If you lock the grid, so that the last row is always the one selected and the user can't select any other row, then you don't need to worry about .moveLast :)

Thank you very much Arg81.

Many of the methods in your code unavailable to me. I have tried all as here. but so far I have not succeeded.

Can any one help me please???:confused:

VB.NET:
Private Sub dataGrid1_Navigate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal ne As System.Windows.Forms.NavigateEventArgs) Handles dataGrid1.Navigate
        If tblTempInvoice.Rows.Count = 0 Then
            Dim tblRev As DataTable = tblTempInvoice
            DR(0) = Me.lblTSDWR.Text
            DR(0) = 1
            tblRev.Rows.Add(DR)

Else
            'tblTempInvoice()
            'Me.grdRevision.MoveLast()
            Dim tblRev As DataTable = tblTempInvoice
            DR(0) = Me.lblTSDWR.Text
            DR(0) = Convert.ToInt32(tblTempInvoice.Columns(0).ToString) + 1 '             
            tblRev.Rows.Add(DR)

End If

Attached is a simple application in which we should implement this.:confused:

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Test.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
For Next Error.

Dear All,

I have following error in For Next statement.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException' occurred in system.windows.forms.dll

Additional information: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

VB.NET:
Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click

Dim nrows As Integer = tblTempInvoice.Rows.Count
        Dim AutoNum(nrows) As Integer
        Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(AutoNum)
                     dataGrid1.Item(i, 0) = i + 1

Next

End Sub

can anyone figureout the problem please?

Thanks in advance

VB.NET:
Dim AutoNum(nrows) As Integer
can anyone figureout the problem please?
The problem is that you have declared the array one item too long, Count is the number of items, arrays are zero-based so you have to declare it one item less than Count:
VB.NET:
Dim AutoNum(nrows - 1) As Integer

Thank you very much everybody.

Now it is solved. Here I provide the code in order to help others who have similar problem.

VB.NET:
Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click

Dim AutoNum(nrows - 1) As Integer

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(AutoNum)

Dim dr As DataRow = tblTempInvoice.NewRow

dataGrid1.Item(i, 0) = i + 1

Next
End Sub

Back