DataBind to Textboxes won't update from ComboBox

robnjay

Programming Experience
10+
Hello All:

I have a test app I am building which I call "IP Manager". This app is a Windows App from VB.Net which does a WMI query, and populates a dataset which I create at run time from a (relational tables) schema I built.

The schema gets populated OK.

Here is a picture of the dataset ("tblAdapters"):
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3]
[FONT=Courier]                                                 Table: DNSAddr[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                                Relation         [U]Fields[/U][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |----- ConfigsDNSAddress -- AdapterDesc[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |                           Index[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |                           IPAddress[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]Table: Configurations |                           Table: IPAddr[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]Fields:               |         Relation          [U]Fields[/U][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]MACAddress            |----- ConfigsIPAddress --- AdapterDesc[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]Index                 |                           Index[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]Description ----------|                           IPAddress[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]DNSDomain             |[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]DNSHostName           |[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]PrimaryWINS           |                           Table: GatewayAddr[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]SecondaryWINS         |         Relation          [U]Fields[/U][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]ConfigType            |---ConfigsGatewayAddress-- AdapterDesc[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |                           Index[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |                           IPAddress[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |                           Table: SubNetAddr[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |         Relation          [U]Fields[/U][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                     |---ConfigsSubnetAddress—-- AdapterDesc[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                                                 Index[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]                                                 IPAddress[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

There is a one-to-many relationship for all the relations (possibly, but not always). I force the DNSAddr subtable to have 3 rows, even if all the IPAddresses are "" (some adapters found in the query are not configured).

I am Displaying the Configurations.Description field in a combobox ("cboAdapters"). All the other data fields are in textboxes. A pertinate textbox to this problem is txtIPAddr, which should display the IPAddress field from the first row of the child table in the ConfigsIPAddress relation. I have other textboxes which should display a row from one of the child tables.

In the form_load subroutine there is this, which databinds the controls:
VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]With[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Me[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2].cboAdapter
.DataSource = tblAdapters.Configuration
.DisplayMember = "Description"[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]With
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]With[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Me
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2].txtMAC.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Configuration, "MACAddress"))
.txtDHCP.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Configuration, "ConfigType"))
.txtWINS1.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Configuration, "PrimaryWINS"))
.txtWINS2.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Configuration, "SecondaryWINS"))
.txtDNSDomain.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Configuration, "DNSDomain"))
.txtIPAddr.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsIPAddress").ChildTable.Rows(0), "IPAddress"))
.txtSubnet.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsSubnetAddress").ChildTable.Rows(0), "IPAddress"))
.txtDefGW.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsGatewayAddress").ChildTable.Rows(0), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS1.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Rows(0), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS2.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Rows(1), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS3.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Rows(2), "IPAddress"))
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]With
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

When the form loads, the combobox and all the textboxes are filled with correct data from the dataset.

However, when the combobox selection is changed, all the textboxes which have bindings that do not reference a relation change correctly. The ones which use the format "tblAdapters.Relations("RelationName").ChildTable.Rows(x)" do not.

I am just starting to learn VB.net (although I have lots of VB & VBA experience)

How can I fix this?

Thanks
Rob

It's me again. Had an idea that the problem really was in the databind statements for the "childtable" textboxes. So I figured

I thought this:
VB.NET:
[SIZE=2].txtIPAddr.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsIPAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 0"), "IPAddress"))
.txtSubnet.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsSubnetAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 0"), "IPAddress"))
.txtDefGW.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsGatewayAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 0"), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS1.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 0"), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS2.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 1"), "IPAddress"))
.txtDNS3.DataBindings.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Binding("Text", tblAdapters.Relations("ConfigsDNSAddress").ChildTable.Select("Index = 2"), "IPAddress"))
[/SIZE]

would work better than referencing "rows(x)" as before (see above)...

I get the same results. On form load the textboxes are filled correctly, but the ones for the ChildTable data don't update when you change the selected item in the combobox.

Back