Data Transfer between databases using ADO.net

95se5m

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello all, here my dilemma.

I have a Sybase SqlAnywhere database that stores the data. It has a number of views that assemble the data in the fashion I need. Now I need to transfer that data in my application to an MSSQL database into a table with an identical structure to the view.

I do not wish to use an export file, nor do I wish to fiddle around with the import/export wizard in MSSQL. Not to mention I am not sure if 2005 express would even have such an ability.

Basically I am looking for a way to perhaps load the view’s data into a dataset, then dump said dataset into the table in MSSQL. I am not new to using datasets nor VB.net 2005, yet this seemingly simple procedure eludes me.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You might be able to buy a bit of software from www.intelligentconverters.com for about $15 (or in terms of what you'd get paid at minimum wage in a reasonably civilised country; about 3 hours work) to do this conversion.

Consider whether your time in reinventing this particular wheel is justified. If it is, return here and seek further assistance

I actually used the BulkSql class in .NET 2.0 and using a datareader to Sybase and a dataconnection to the sql database it transferred flawlessly. This was a modified example supplied by the msdn site for use of the bulksql class.

Back