Crystal Report Viewer

adebar

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

in my VBNet project i use the Crystal Reports Viewer, where i only pass parameters to and so it does not have and does not need a database connection. I use the printing and PDF export function with the viewer.

With Framework 2.0 and Crystal Reports my installation package increases to ~70MB, where CR is around the half of it.

Do i have the chance to reduce this ? I would assume, that for the viewer only i do not need the complete CR redistributable.

Any idea ?

I do use VS2008 Pro.

adebar

Of course a lot depends on how big your project is and how many reports your talking about but in general I would say look for any large pictures your including in your reports and see if you can reduce the resolution on them to make'em smaller.

Hi Tom,

it is only one single report which is dynamically filled with data.

It's not the report itself which makes the distribution such big, it is the CR Runtime which is ~25-30 MB.

The question is, if it is possible to distribute only some necessary dll's instead of the whole CR Runtime ?

Greetings
adebar

Oh I thought you were talking about just the exe size... The only thing you can do is exclude the runtimes and let them install seperatly if needed. I would exclude the .net framework since most computers should have at least 2.0 already installed by this point.

Hmm, not a bad idea.

What happens if the setup is started and the Framework is missing ? It is necessary that the installer is completely offline, cause it's not guaranteed that the users do have an internet connection if they install the app.

Back