creating word documents through VB

lional

Programming Experience
Beginner
using a word template in VB

Hi All
I am new to vb and what I am trying to to is write data to word templates.
I have a resume apps and when I press the Create CV button certain fields like name, qualifications etc and writes it to a ms word template file and then saves the CV word file using the client nr.
I don't understand how to set up the word doc and vb to update the template from d/d fields and to then save the word doc.

I have been researching and trying to do this for weeks but I don't seem to be able to come right.

Help Please

Thanks

Lional

I have been trying to create word documents through VB.
I have got the paragraphs and all the other stuff working correctly.
I have been battling to create tables so that I can create the attached document.
The blank tables will be data pulled from a form.
I am attaching the word template.
All I need to know is to create the headings for example PERSONAL DATA and then the tables and cells like firstname and the actual name is pulled from the form.

Thanks

Lional

Attachments

• CV Template Rio Draughting.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 24
There are many ways to accomplish this; what are you doing so far? (perhaps show some code or explain what you have done thus far.)

Personally, I have used the simple method of creating a template (like the Word source file of your attached PDF) and putting placeholders where the information goes (for example put "<Full_Name>" in the first row, second column of the first table in your template). Then read the template in as a string, find and replace the placeholders with the data from the form, and finally write the modified string back to the file. This method makes updating the template much easier as you are using MS Word to modify instead of coding the changes.

I am very new to VB so the template route seems to be the way to go.
I tried that in the beginning but I was not sure how to create the placeholders and then to read the template in as a string.
I was trying to search for documentation but I was not successful.
So I tried the other method which I found some info but not much so it has been a long process.

Thanks for your help so far

Back