Creating Installation file with just an excel in it

c.vaibhav

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi friends,

I am not sure if this question could be asked here..

I have an excel file with few macros written in VB language..

Now I want to create an installation file that will install this Excel file onto clients machine at a predefined (or user chosen) location just how a normal installation file works.. I also want the user to put a serial code that will be validated (don't know how)..

I think making an installation file in VB.NET is possible. My question is can I make installation file with just an excel in it and the feature of validating serial code using VB.NET?.. If it is possible that would be great.. otherwise what other solutions do I have..

If anybody of you have any idea please help..

Regards,
Vaibhav

What's the purpose of the serial code?

The vba code in excel files can't be compiled and whatnot which means once someone has the file, they can simply give that file to whoever they want since there's no security whatsoever to prevent them from doing so.

The serial code is required so that it will be used by only those person who pay for it..

regarding the excel file.. I think if I save a txt file along with the installer in some obscure location on client machine then I can put a code in workbook_open of excel file that will check for the txt file and if it is present only then the excel file could be open..

Anywayz even if i am not able to do with this txt file validation part i would still like to use the serial code enabled installer as that will have some pscychological pressure on my clients to share the excel software.. and i think i'll get away with the txt file validation part.. all i need is a serial code enabled setup file which will also give a professional look to our software..

Back