Creating Executable Files

fpineda101

Programming Experience
1-3
I'm new to dotnet (Still on VB6 at my work). I don't understand how to make an executable file from a dotnet project. Some enlightenment please?

I read something about DLL's but I have no idea how that works...

Hey,

To make your executable you simply Click the "Build" Menu Item then elect to build your project. A build is also performed every time you run the program using the run button on the toolbar. The executable can be found in the "Bin" folder of your project. The Build itself can be either a Debug or a release build. While debugging your project stick to Debug, but if you distribute the executable you should change it to release, this can be done in the configuration manager under Build on the main menu. One note, which you're probably already aware of, is that .Net executables require the .Net framework be installed on the target machine.

Hope this helps.

dll is a compiled/executed file that we can use in our programs which we write .
it may with different facilities or operation but u don't know how this operation is performed as u don't the source code.

in vb.net u can use dll as solution explorer ->> add reference->>projects -->>add

now u are able to use the facilities provided by the dll.

if you're including dll's in your application (both your own and other people's) then you need to remember to include those dll's with the exe file when distributing it

Back