Question Create a System Tray Application (service?)

ScottDarth

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

Please forgive me if I'm not posting this in the right spot. I'm open to suggestions on where better to place this.

I'm wanting to develop what I perceive to be a pretty simple application. I want something that runs in the system tray that tests for the presence of a particular file on a network drive.

If the file does not exist, the icon in the system tray is a green circle (like a traffic light).

If the file DOES exist, then the system tray icon is a yellow circle (caution), until the user clicks it (the yellow system tray icon), and a record is written to another file, then the system tray icon changes to a red (stop) circle until that first file we tested for is gone.

I'd also like to create "balloon messages" to go with the changes in the system tray icon.

Can anyone point me to an example of how I'd do that?

TIA,
Scott

The first thing you need is to add a NotifyIcon component to your form, which is what displays the icon in the system tray, officially called the Notification Area. You should start by reading up on that class, adding one to a form and experimenting with its members.

Back