Question Create a dynamic user interface to accept 1 or more line items to add to database?

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm trying to code a small application that basically manages non product PO's. In other words a front end to a access database that can create/edit/print/email...purchase orders. PO's essentially have some standard info on each such as a PO number, vendor name, date and so forth. They will also have 1 or more items purchased on each PO. So in its most basic form I would have two tables in a database 1 with the general PO information and another with the lines items and the PO number as a key to associate them to the general info. So if a user runs this program and they want to buy 5 items how do I create a front end in VB.NET 2010 express that will accommodate a different number of items each time? How would the update/add query look to the database to accommodate dynamic entries as well?

s1ckOh

Programming Experience
Beginner
sounds like a homework assignment...

ive done something similar and what i did was put the purchased items in a listview and to add it to the database i use a for each listviewitem in listview.items

it looks something like this...

VB.NET:
        Dim myListItem As New ListViewItem
        For Each myListItem In ListView1.Items
            Dim sql As String = "INSERT INTO Info (ID, LName, FName) " & _
                                 "VALUES (@ID, @LName, @FName)"
            Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand(sql, cn)

With cmd.Parameters
                .Add("@ID", OleDbType.Integer, 10, "ID").Value = TextBox1.Text 'CustomerID
                .Add("@LName", OleDbType.VarChar, 20, "LName").Value = myListItem.SubItems(0)
                .Add("@FName", OleDbType.VarChar, 20, "FName").Value = myListItem.SubItems(1)
            End With
            cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
        Next

Last edited:

jmcilhinney

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
The obvious option is a DataGridView. It can be bound to a DataTable so you can just use a DataAdapter so save the lot in one go. Also, there's no code required to insert the data into the grid. The user just starts typing.

Programming Experience
Beginner
What I did was create a few text boxes that (when told to) will add a row of data to the datagridview. I defined several unbound columns and the data goes right in. The problem I have now is I want to use the same datagrid to display queries from the database. I wrote a simple select statement and the data come in alright but it doesn't use the columns I defined, it generates new ones. It basically replicated/doubled the ones I made. Is there a way to tell the dataset tom map to the unbound columns I created?

jmcilhinney

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
There sure is. Each column in the grid has a property to tell it which column/property of the data source to bind to. If I remember correctly, it's called DataPropertyName.

Programming Experience
Beginner
This is how I ended up getting it to work

Dim ds As New DataSet
Dim o As Object

o = ds.Tables.Item("mytable").Rows.Item(0).Item("PONumber")
txtPONumber.Text = o

Top Bottom