Console help / Desktop Question.

Ralest42

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm somewhat new to VB.net and while I'm trying to figure things out have run into a problem. If anybody can help me by answering these couple of questions.

from Control Panel "Display"
X = Shell("Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl ,0")
Desktop
X= Shell("Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl ,1")
Screensaver
X= Shell("Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl ,3")
Settings
X= Shell("Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl ,5")
Themes

One of my questions is that I cannot seem to get the code to open up the Appearance tab is there a certain number I am missing, or is this a entirely different code?

Second question, I am trying to write a program which will basically be the same as the Display properties but from a new form which I am designing. Can someone give me some pointers on what I will need to do for that code so I can break away from the Microsoft form.
I am assuming that I can do this in Visual Basic.Net.

hi there ,

I tried this one and it works .

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2]X = Shell([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff]"Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl ,2"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][CODE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2]this opens the appearance tab[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2]try it [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2]Thanks [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Jay
[/SIZE]

About second question:
Most if not all system dialogs operate on settings in the Registry, these can be edited (though some require a reboot before change takes effect), you just have find exactly where the relevant setting is stored. Which of course can be difficult for some, especially external hardware settings where vendors don't make documentation public.
So you can create a totally new dialog/form yourself to change almost all system settings..
Go search :)

Back