Connection

Windsailor

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,

In VS 2003 you more or less manually opened, closed all of your connections.
In VS 2005 (going with the very basic idea of dragging a dataset from the Data Source tab onto a blank new form) I didn’t have to manually open the connection, and the connection is there for my data source… and I am able to update back to the database etc. (from another private sub) which is just weird for me… anyone care to expand why this is enabled this way? I guess I am confused on how long the connection is going to remain open… and the correct way to dispose of it.
I could manually open and dispose of connections in certain events which is fine, but would a VS 2005 application by default be opening another connection when the form loads?

I have read using VS 2003 you would open the connection first and then fill your adapter, so you wouldn’t be opening the connection twice, does this still apply with VS 2005?

I haven’t used connection pooling in the past, read about it, sounds good.
The most interesting part I read is that in ASP.net applications the connection pooling resides on the server, and in winform applications it lies on the client…ok what’s up with that? I can read a lot of different things into that… are they simply talking about on a server application the connection pooling resides on the server, and on a local database application it resides on the local machine?

Thanks

Back