Computer Performance Problems

aiswebmaster

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

My question or problem actually is I'm developing an application that pulls data from a website and currently takes certain data out and displays it in a textbox. Alright well everything is working fine except when I try to run larger pages that has more content to pull out, and the application will always slow down and eventually become non-responsive. I'm needing help to figure out a way to help the program to run these more heavy content pages to not cause the program to crash. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried setting all variables and objects not in use to nothing and it still doesn't seem to help. I haven't been doing application development for that long and usually do everything with asp.net! So maybe I don't know something that I should be doing that can help the performance of this application. Know any good articles or any clues to why this might happen, I would appreciate it! Thanks..

Dylan

Your actually running into a fairly simple problem: the larger the return set (in this case, the size of the page) the longer it takes to prepare the result.

In your case, it sounds like you would be satisfied if the application would display -something-, perhaps a "Processing..." message, while it performs the background page download and parse. If that's the case, a simple Background Worker might do the trick.

There are a number of posts on this site, some by myself in fact, that go into more detail about using the Background Worker, so read over the above linked MSDN article and search for that on the boards here, then get back with any questions you might have.

Oh. -Just- as I clicked post I noticed you have .NET 1.1 as your platform, which I don't believe, supported the Background Worker. Is that accurate (that your platform is 1.1)? If so, you'll need an alternate suggestion (or you can upgrade to 2.0, depending on your deployment needs).

Oh

Yes I am using .Net 1.1! Um however I can upgrade my application if the current version I am using won't support something I'll need. I will look into the background worker and also look into using .net 2.0 instead of 1.1. I will post more responses if I come across anymore questions related to this issue! Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Back