Compression

tyonuts

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi all, i just want to ask if anyone has some ideas (or links) about compression algorhytms (with examples). I have tried to find the source for ZIP, but I can't seem to get to it, although i know it's there.

no it isn't. Otherwise, i wouldn't have known about the source. one idea, try to search a linux source if u don't find the link to zip... i'll search it myself

Best known open-source zip library is the SharpZipLib http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/ perhaps useful to see this implementation, even if it's in C# at least it's managed .Net. Includes Zip, GZip, Tar and BZip2 in libraries.

Note that .Net 2.0 has got new compression support in System.IO.Compression namespace, it's DeflateStream/GzipStream both based on Deflate algorithm, which uses a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding. Useful for applications internal compression needs, but I don't think you can use it to work with file structure archives like regular zip files. (if you make a compressed file from .Net any Zip application can decompress the content though)

Back