Compile fails - no error message

pilsdumps

Programming Experience
3-5
I have a solution containing 21 projects that has been working fine for a while. However, I've changed something and now compile fails.

The problem is that there is no error created in the Error List so I haven't the faintest idea how to fix it. I suspect it's something to do with a missing or corrupt reference, but without systematically removing the projects, reworking the other references (they use project refs) I can't see how I can identify the problem project.

Can anyone tell me how I can identify the problem project? The Output window doesn't seem to help, other than telling me one project failed. Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, I've restored from a backup.

I think I've identified what the problem was. One of the projects provides methods to load resources from a dll. I was trying to load a resource into a base user control, and derive a new one from this. It was failing with a null reference and hence not compiling. Seems a bit poor that the output window can tell you that a projects failed, but not where and why.

Do you know where I could have acquired this information from? Its incredibly frustrating to be told somethings failed, but to be given no idea why....!

Option Strict On does an outstanding job of pointing out errors and exactly where they are occurring.

Admittedly, some of the error descriptions leave a bit to be desired, but I've never once had to wonder where the error was coming from.

Back