Closing threads or marking as resolved

jmcilhinney

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I think it would be a good idea for the creator of a thread to either close it or mark it as resolved. I have used another forum, which I would guess uses the same software as this one because they look very similar, that uses a convention of editing the thread title to add [Resolved] and changing the icon to a tick to indicate that the issue has been resolved. Not everyone follows the convention but I still think it is a good idea.

Hi,
I came to another idea ... why we don't add a button "Post Resolved" like the one from the image below:

resolved.jpg

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
I think these are all great ideas and my ears are open, however, what if someone wants to ask a question in that thread after it's closed? For example, Person X has a problem, Person Y helps and answers it. Then I come along and say "hey, I'm having this issue too, but...." and need more dialog on the topic. I'm certainly turning my head like a dog listening...but have to think these things through and make sure we are not causing more harm then good.

I set "Registered" members to where they can now close their own threads. So we'll see how this works out.

Hi Neal,

I think we have misunderstanding here ... I (probably jmcilhinney too) didn't mean of closing the thread for further posting at the same but, only point out somehow that original threader is satisfied by our replies ... so other members can continue with new posts there.

BTW, don’t you think it's odd that so many people are able to stick their threads, split, redirect etc.? However it could be misused to violate forum rules and finally you'll be engaged non-stop removing our mistakes

P.S.Actually I am not too worried by this point, but in my previous post I pointed out a more effective solution through adding a button that would (by click) add some text in the Title of the current thread i.e. [RESOLVED]

Kind regards ;)

Upon reflection, I can see that there are issues with closing a thread, such as the fact that a better solution may exist than the one that first resolved the issue. I do, however, believe that being able to mark a thread in some way as resolved is a good idea for those seeking help and for those seeking to help.

i also agree that there should be a button that adds the word "resolved" to the title of a thread but leave the thread unlocked so that a better solution or an expansion of a solution can be posted later on

why not edit your thread title and put [Resolved]

kulrom said:
Of course. It is very possible. But, i think people are little bit lazy to do that ... and there must be provided easier solution ... Cheers ;)
How do you do it then? I started this thread and, not that I actually want to, but I can't see a way to change my initial post in any way.

This sounds logical but the Edit button only seems to be available for a limited time. Looking at this thread, my previous two posts (#12 & #10) have an edit button but the others (#7 & #1) do not.

jmcilhinney said:
This sounds logical but the Edit button only seems to be available for a limited time. Looking at this thread, my previous two posts (#12 & #10) have an edit button but the others (#7 & #1) do not.

I set the system to allow indefinite edits now.

Back