checking if a selected time is in the past

levyuk

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I think this is fairly simple, but then isn't everything when you know how. I would like to populat a listbox with some time periods.
For instance

10:00-12:00
12:00-14:00
14:00-16:00
16:00-18:00
18:00-20:00

One this is done I would like to check that the selected item in the listbox is not in the past.
So if the current time is 12:00 then the user will not be able to select 10:00-12:00.

Thats my first question. My 2nd question is - in what format would time be stored in a database?

Basically I need to know how to compare the system time with the time in the listbox.

Thanks for any help.
Levy

1. Try This:
VB.NET:
PrivateSub cmdLoadLbx_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdLoadLbx.Click

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("00:00-02:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("02:00-04:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("04:00-06:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("06:00-08:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("08:00-10:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("10:00-12:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("12:00-14:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("14:00-16:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("16:00-18:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("18:00-20:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("20:00-22:00")

Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.Items.Add("22:00-23:59")

EndSub

PrivateSub cmdCheckTimeFrame_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdCheckTimeFrame.Click

Dim chkTime AsDate

'check if range is selected

IfMe.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.SelectedItem = ""Then

MsgBox("no timeframe seleceted")

ExitSub

EndIf

chkTime = CDate("#" & (Mid(Me.lbxTimeRangeToCheck.SelectedItem, 7, 4)) & "#")

If chkTime < TimeOfDay Then

MsgBox("Current Time is past time frame")

EndIf

EndSub

2. Date type

HTH

John

It would create a better user experience if invalid time periods did not even appear in the ListBox. Why let the user select something that you know ahead of time is going to be invalid. I would suggest something like this:
VB.NET:
If DateTime.Now < DateTime.Today.AddHours(2) Then
   Me.ListBox1.Items.Add("00:00 - 01:59")
 End If
If DateTime.Now < DateTime.Today.AddHours(4) Then
   Me.ListBox1.Items.Add("02:00 - 03:59")
 End If
If DateTime.Now < DateTime.Today.AddHours(6) Then
   Me.ListBox1.Items.Add("04:00 - 05:59")
End If
The passing of time may make a period invalid while the ListBox is visible, which you would have to handle using code like that posted by johnminkjan, but try to give your users as few invalid options as possible.

Yes I was going to move ono that after I got the comparing correct. The problem is that I have a list off times in a database. I don't add them programmatically. I just do a select then populat the listbox. If you can suggest a way to get the valid times from the database that would help a lot.

Are your times stored in the database as actual times as opposed to a string like "10:00 - 12:00"? If so you could use your select statement to return only times later than the current time. Using Access it would look something like:

"SELECT TimeField FROM TimeTable WHERE TimeField > TimeValue('" & DateTime.Now & "')"

I've not used TimeValue() before, only DateValue(), but I think this is correct. Other databases should have equivalents.

Yes we seem to do that quite a bit. I'm looking at yours now to see if I can modify it. I'll add another issue to it now though :)

The time is coupled with the date. For instance - if the day is tomorrow then the time cannot be in the past because it is tomorrow. So I have to check that aswell. Because people can make orders in the future then I wont need to check the time, which I should be able to do myself, I think. I shall let you know.

Back