Public TwoToFour As Integer = 18
Public FourToSix As Integer = 18
Public SixToEight As Integer = 12
End Class

I call it in another form in this way

Dim
CodeClass As New Class1

Then I would like to write to that class and change the values but it wont work

Protected Sub ButtonUpdate_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonUpdate.Click
CodeClass.FourToSix = CInt(TextBoxFour.Text)
CodeClass.SixToEight =
CInt(TextBoxSix.Text)
CodeClass.TenToTwelve =
CInt(TextBoxTen.Text)
CodeClass.TwelveToTwo =
CInt(TextBoxTwelve.Text)
CodeClass.TwoToFour =
CInt(TextBoxTwo.Text)
End Sub

My question is, why not?

Before instantiate the class you need to declare the new class ...
PHP:
Private Sub ButtonUpdate_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonUpdate.Click

Dim CodeClass As Class1 = New Class1 

CodeClass.FourToSix = CType(TextBoxFour.Text, Integer)

CodeClass.SixToEight = CType(TextBoxSix.Text, Integer)

CodeClass.TenToTwelve = CType(TextBoxTen.Text, Integer)

CodeClass.TwelveToTwo = CType(TextBoxTwelve.Text, Integer)

CodeClass.TwoToFour = CType(TextBoxTwo.Text, Integer)

End Sub

Cheers ;)

P.S. Please don't use vb6 functions like CInt is ... instead you have much faster CType method in VB.NET ... regards :)

Last edited:
Hi levyuk,
Maybe I've missunderstood something ... but it works for me! Take a look at attached zip file ... ;)

Btw, i'm not sure that your class is a good candidate for OOP treatment. as it deals with small data; and assume it is not reusable ... If you consider this facts to be acceptable then i was wrong :(

Cheers ;)

Attachments

• Class.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 38
Things don't just not work. You must get an error message at a particular line of code. What is the error message and at which line of code does it occur? With that information we can more easily help you.

There is no error. I'll show you the rest of the code
VB.NET:
[size=2][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Dim[/color][/size][size=2] CodeClass [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] Class1 = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]New[/color][/size][size=2] Class1

[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Protected[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub[/color][/size][size=2] Page_Load([/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] sender [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Object[/color][/size][size=2], [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] e [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] System.EventArgs) [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Handles[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].Load
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].TextBoxFour.Text = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](CodeClass.FourToSix, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].TextBoxSix.Text = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](CodeClass.SixToEight, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].TextBoxTen.Text = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](CodeClass.TenToTwelve, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].TextBoxTwelve.Text = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](CodeClass.TwelveToTwo, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].TextBoxTwo.Text = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](CodeClass.TwoToFour, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]End[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub[/color][/size]
[size=2][color=#0000ff] 
[/color][/size][size=2][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Protected[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub[/color][/size][size=2] ButtonUpdate_Click([/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] sender [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Object[/color][/size][size=2], [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] e [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] System.EventArgs) [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Handles[/color][/size][size=2] ButtonUpdate.Click
CodeClass.FourToSix = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](TextBoxFour.Text, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Integer[/color][/size][size=2])
CodeClass.SixToEight = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](TextBoxSix.Text, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Integer[/color][/size][size=2])
CodeClass.TenToTwelve = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](TextBoxTen.Text, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Integer[/color][/size][size=2])
CodeClass.TwelveToTwo = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](TextBoxTwelve.Text, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Integer[/color][/size][size=2])
CodeClass.TwoToFour = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]CType[/color][/size][size=2](TextBoxTwo.Text, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Integer[/color][/size][size=2])
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]End[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub
[/color][/size]

This is asp.net btw which i don't think makes that much difference but it might.
Anyway at form_load I get the information from the class. The user can then chage the value sof those the intergers and hopefully save the data. But when I click buttonupdate all I get is the textboxes showing the previous values.

Yes I did have a look thanks.

I noticed that the values don't remain when the form is closed. I think with asp.net that when the button is clicked the page is refreshed but because the values are not saved it shows the original values. I need a way to store the numbers even if the asp.net page is closed. I could use a database but is there another way? A simple way. Remember this is asp.net.

Hi,
The only question is do you use HTML input tag or ASP.NET textBox control ?
<input type="text">
or
<asp:TextBox id="tb1" runat="server" />
?

Hmm ... i haven't work with asp.net for long time plus i haven't installed IIS on this machine so, i cannot check Authenticity of my claim ... but if i remeber well ASP.NET textBox control remembers value/s even if you leave the current page and back later ...

Cheers ;)

I thought as much. I think I will have to use a database because i think it is the easiest way of storing data on a webserver. i'm not sure if I would be able to write to files such as xml because of permissions, but maybe I will try it.

Thanks for your help kulrom. P.S. where are you from?

levyuk said:
I thought as much. I think I will have to use a database because i think it is the easiest way of storing data on a webserver. i'm not sure if I would be able to write to files such as xml because of permissions, but maybe I will try it.

Thanks for your help kulrom. P.S. where are you from?

Of course, generating XML on client side would be good solution ... btw, i'm from MACEDONIA. You?

Cheers ;)

Back