Central app + multiple client applications & raising events. Suggestions please.

mithrandiir42

Programming Experience
3-5
Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to figure out what my best option would be here. I'd like to create an application that will run on my machine and collect data. specifically certain data collected from doing packet capture. Then i'd like to have anywhere from 1 to a dozen different clients (on the same machine) that would communicate with the main app to access the information collected and maybe have events raised in the client application when certain data is collected.

The reason for doing it this way is i'd like all of the clients to collect the same data but i don't want to waste valuable resources by having a dozen different programs capturing and filtering out data. if i could have just one app do all the dirty work and just provide the clients with the interesting data, it seems like it would be much more efficient.

So right now it seems like my options are using sockets to communicate between the applications (which also would make it possible to connect to a remote machine with ease which has potential to be a cool feature) and the second option being Remoting. I've had very very little experience with remoting so far so i'm not quite sure what's involved and that's what i'm writing this to find out. Is that overkill to just raise events and send some urls and packet information back and forth?

If anyone could offer suggestions for which route i should take (or maybe a completely different one that i haven't thought of) i'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks all!

Back