Capture external program textbox text

enum5

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all,

I am trying to control an external winform program using my windows service application. Both winform program and windows service are installed in same pc. The winform program has a MDI child form. This child form has a textbox. Can my windows service capture the text inside this textbox? If can, how to do it? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.

hi

not sure if this is "good programming" but couldnt you make the variable inside the textbox available to other programs by declaring it "Global" (or something similar, not sure of exact syntax)

good luck

regards
adam

If you wrote the application yourself then you can set up your own IPC. Failing that then you will have to use the Windows API, which is usually the way to interact with processes external to your own. There will be plenty of examples already on the Web for getting text from a text field in an external program as it is probably one of the most common API tasks.

The winform program is thirth party software. I am trying to remote control the program using a windows service. May I know is there any example of capturing external program textbox's text?

Back