Can't use standard "Terminal" font?

B2Ben

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm building an application that uses serial communications. I want to have a form that will allow the user to view the data being sent and received over the COM port. There are many special characters that are sent and received, most of which are not defined in common fonts like Courier.

What I want is to display the communications data using the font "Terminal" (which is used in HyperTerminal and comes with windows). Terminal has unique symbols for theose funny characters I want to display.

The problem is that Visual Studio won't let me use Terminal for anything... text boxes, labels, rich text boxes, buttons, whatever. I'm guessing it's because Terminal is not a TrueType font.

Does anybody know a way I can use "Terminal" as a font for a control on my form?

Thanks!

Specifically, I'm trying to display text in a Rich Text Box, using the font "Terminal"

The RTF box has some functions for setting stuff like font color, style, and the font. But I've tried setting it to Terminal with no luck. I've also found some functions in system.drawing.font but I can't figure out how to use them...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have a "Terminal" font listed from the default Windows set. You can't use one of the font listed in font dialog?

Well... I guess you're right... I just checked my own fonts directory, and "Terminal" is not in there. However, I can use it in Notepad, and Hyperterminal, even Excel... but not Word... or Visual Studio?!

For lack of a better explanation, it's like it's 'built-in' to Windows. I know some programs can use 'Terminal' but not others. It's not critical that I use it in my App... but now it's just a mission to figure out how to access it :)

I just checked out Visual Basic 6 on one of my machines at home... and VB6 lets me use "Terminal"

Strange.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, trying to make an app to view NFO/DIZ files only. OEM/DOS fonts (Terminal, etc.) does not show in the properties window (under Font selection) for TextBox / RixhTextBox even though they are in the /Fonts folder. I have installed 2 such fonts and still cannot use them in VB 2005 design environment.

Am I missing to check an option or something, because this was not a problem in VB6.

Any idea to fix this problem?

Perhaps they have to be TrueType fonts? You have other options for fixed fonts like Courier New and Lucida Console. (these are the default fonts used in Notepad and Visual Studio)

When I originally pursued this, it was because the Terminal font had symbols for some of the unusual characters (ASCII 1 through 6 for example). Courier and Lucida Console just had empty rectangles for the characters I wanted to see. I found a font that was close to what I wanted, but I didn't know how to embed it into my app.

Back