Can't store more than 50 characters in fields in .mdb

Chazper

Programming Experience
Beginner
Can't store more than 50 characters in fields in .mdb using vb.net applctn

This is a nice forum! Just finished studying vb.net and started creating my first sample program (a replica of friendster but in windows form).

Problem: I can't store more than 50 characters in fields of a .mdb

Action taken:
I've set the size of the field = 255
When I input the value directly on ms access, it accepts 255 characters. But when i use my vb application, it can only store 50 characters on the field. Even though i've typed in more than 50 characters in the binded textbox...

MemberDataSet.Member_s_InfoTable(index).About_MyselfColumn =
Me.txtAboutSelf.Text

I suspect that the maxlength of the field in the dataset is set to a max of 50? If this is the case, I'm stuck and currently trying to find a way in setting the maxlength of the field of the DATASET. Am I on the right track? Can someone help? Thanks :)

Last edited:
i'm now down to a simple application (used the data form wizard and simple database) in order to check if I'm just experiencing this problem because of a program error.

Even the form created using the data form wizard was unable to store more than 50 characters from the textbox to a field in the .mdb.

Maybe this is just a simple problem, but it is driving me nuts! I guess if I sleep on it I will be able to come up a solution when I awake :)

This is embarassing! It just came to me, that I should try RECONFIGURING my auto generated data adapter and wallaaaah! my problem was solved!

I should have thought of this in the first place! Since I modified the field size to 255 from 50 of the fields in my .mdb, I should have also reconfigured my auto generated data adapter. Never thought that the data adapter also includes the field size info of a database, I just thought it just store sql commands... geeze.

Sorry for posting in two forum, I was just desperate. Kindly close this thread... it's embarassing. Someone hit me in the head! :D

Back