Cant See my service in the services Services window

groadsvb

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am using windows 7 professional, VS2010 and I created a simple service just to learn how to do it.
In the project properties I have the application type as Windows service. the assembly name and Root Namespace are the same. the Startup Oject is service1.
The compile panel has Platform as Active (86). I did change the advanced compile option to target .NET framework 4.

I can build with no errors. The path is to bin\Debug.

I change to the bin\debug folder where the .exe is built and I run the installutil utility which is successful but my service does not show in my windows services so that I can start it.

What am I missing?

Please excuse my ignorance but this it what I checked the InstallUtil.InstallLog and see the text below:

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
See the contents of the log file for the C:\Users\grhod\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\CicWebRequest\CicWebRequest\bin\Debug\CicWebRequest.exe assembly's progress.
The file is located at C:\Users\grhod\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\CicWebRequest\CicWebRequest\bin\Debug\CicWebRequest.InstallLog.

The Install phase completed successfully, and the Commit phase is beginning.
See the contents of the log file for the C:\Users\grhod\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\CicWebRequest\CicWebRequest\bin\Debug\CicWebRequest.exe assembly's progress.
The file is located at C:\Users\grhod\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\CicWebRequest\CicWebRequest\bin\Debug\CicWebRequest.InstallLog.
The Commit phase completed successfully.
The transacted install has completed.

I looked at the event viewer and did not find anything. Are there any other event logs that you were refering too? Thanks.

The event log should show you an error if the service controller failed to start your service. If there is nothing it means either that the service controller never attempted to start it or that it starts just fines and possible crashes later.

If you had the Services window open when installing you would have to Refresh it for a newly installed service to show up.

If you had the Services window open when installing you would have to Refresh it for a newly installed service to show up.

To all that helped me through this I thank you. I got it. My service was actually showing as the default name "service1". I know now about the SeriveInstaller and ServiceProcessInstaller. Thanks for your input. I will continue my quest to learn this .net universe one project at a time.

Back