Cannot access remote webservice

frootmig

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,

I am having what I assume is a problem with IIS6 configuration, I have locally a WIN 2003 server running as a domain controller and webserver, I have created a webservice on the webserver (Using VS2005 from my XP machine , this is not a member of the same domain as the webserver, the creation of the webservice was just as if I was working on my localhost, it just asked for a username and password to create the website).

The problem comes when I try to add the webservice as a webreference in the client app that I am creating, every time I try to add the reference from the remote server I get a '403' unauthorized error.:confused:

I have been pulling my hair out over this (not that I have a great deal left!!), can somebody please point me in the right direction please:)

Many Thanks

Frootmig

Make sure you have the .NET Framework 2 configured on the ASP.NET tab in IIS and create a separate AppPool for use with your .NET 2 apps so the AppPool is not shared with 1.1 sites/processes.

Hi Neal,

Many thanks for the reply, I have tried those and still no joy.

I think it may be down to a permissions problem, I have created the same service on my local webserver (Localhost) and it works just fine, that is what makes me suspect it is down to permissions.

Do you have to make the webservice impersonate a user for it to run correctly?

Many Thanks

Frootmig...:confused:

Try a basic "test" or "Hello World" web service first that doesn't require authentication, then start tightening up from there to ensure things work first, then security layers can be applied.

Back