Can Threading Handle This??

WellsCarrie

Programming Experience
5-10
Issue, I need to have a link on my web page that the user can click to kick off the chain of events to load the work database. The database will be loaded with data from 4 seperate sources and sometimes will contain hundreds of thousands of records.

Is there a way to kick off the events and still display to the user a "progress"? If I was doing this in a Window's form I'd display a message for each step of the process as it started and ended.

I'm thinking I can load a web page and at the same time start a seperate thread using a background worker. What i can't figure out is how to tell the user at what point the process is finished, much less display a running list of what pieces have started and completed.

Any ideas would help.

Oh, I'm new to 2005 so please bear with me, if I get confused.

To display progress from async work in ASP world you have to make client page refresh/postback to get periodic progress info.

With regular ASP.Net this can be a page in popup window or in a frame/iframe that refreshes. The async worker can post the progress info to Session which the UI postback can use.

With an AJAX enabled page (if you can do .Net 2) it is basically the same, but for example a UpdatePanel can be used to allow partial page refresh and a Timer control can do the postbacks.

Let me make sure I understand.
My page tasks would have to do the following.
1) create an async worker process to run the data load(s) (IE: a new thread.)
2) create an UpdatePanel to allow partial page refresh (is this new to 2005?)
3) create a meta tag in the UpdatePanel to force the refresh?

If you use .Net 2 you should get the AJAX framework, this include the UpdatePanel and Timer controls.
Else you have refresh any whole page (or know some Javascript to make async server calls yourself).

Back