Can not start debugging

GrexD

Programming Experience
Beginner
This one has plagued me for months but I've sort of learned to deal with it. This is the sort of thing that makes me long for the days of writing DOS console apps, though.

EVERY TIME I start VS2005 and load a project I must go in to the projects bin and/or obj/debug folders and delete files before I can run the program in the development environment. For a while I would just go in a delete everything but now I know that I only need to delete {programname}.vshost1.exe and {programname}.exe Most of the time {programname}.vshost1.exe can't be deleted until I rename it to something else.

Trying to "Clean", "Build", or "rebuild" the project does nothing. Does anyone have a clue why this does this?

First make sure you have latest service pack installed, SP1 I think, and that you are not running a beta version. Opening projects from network location I read somewhere could cause the problem. I have not seen this problem in VS2005 or VS2008 at all, but I think I saw it once in VS2003, or perhaps I just read about it long time ago. Look at the Play-Pause-Stop buttons when you exit app from debugging, if the Stop button is still active the app/debugger didn't close properly, press the stop button. Try deleting the Bin and Obj folders before you open the project, open and build project then close VS, when you reopen that project does the problem persist? Try this How to: Disable the Hosting Process -any change? Try some more searching the internet for "vshost.exe" in relation to "problem/bug/lock/debug", you should find some relevant pages and perhaps other suggestions to resolve it.

I'm running a full version of VS2005/SP1. Turning off the VS Hosting Process seems to have done the trick.

Thanks.

Now if I could just get the application to run on any other PC aside from my development machine I would be in good shape.

Back