Bug or what ?

dennisvb

Programming Experience
10+
I wrote a project in VB 8. I clicked the diskette icon for save often as I worked.

It says Items saved bt I have no idea where. When I closed VB it asked do you want to save, I said yes.

I can't find a folder with my project name. I found a folder with my project name in the back-ups directory but it is empty.

Is my project lost?

Did you tell it to actually create the project? If you did, when you open VS it'll show in the project list on the left, otherwise you'll need to create a new project again and make sure to save the project (if it physically saves the solution file, you've got it saved)

Whenever I create a project, even if I only need it for a couple of minutes, I have it create the solution and everything just so I know it's saved. To have it to this on project creation, make sure the "Create directory for solution" checkbox is checked:
CreateSolution.jpg

By default, VS and VB Express create Windo9ws application projects in a temporary location. You can change that behaviour in the IDE Options dialogue if you want. Otherwise, each time you save an individual file you will save to that temporary location. If you use the Save All function, then it will prompt you to save to a permanent location. If you exit without saving then you will be prompted to save then. By default, the permanent location will be the' Visual Studio 2010\Projects' folder under your documents folder.

Yes I said create project and gave it a name. I leave my computer booted up. I had an error and had to reboot. I tried to close VB. It asked if I wanted to save and nothing else happened.

My guess is that when I rebooted I lost the temporary area.

My problem here is the thing acts like it's saving Give me a warningmessage that says I'm not really saving. Also what is the point of saving to a temporary area that will be lost.

Also what is the point of saving to a temporary area that will be lost.

It's actually very useful. I create a lot of test and demo projects and by their being saved to a temporary location, they are discarded when I close rather than my having to go into my projects folder and delete them explicitly. If it's a project I intend to keep then I can simply click Save All when it's first create or, as I usually do, simply wait until I close it for the first time. Even if the system crashes, I wouldn't think that the temp location is not actually lost. The data would still be there. You just have to work a little bit harder to access it. If you create a new project, you should be able to use the Solution Explorer to find it's physical location and, from there, find the other project.

Like I said, if you don't want that behaviour then you can change it in the IDE options. Looking through the application options is one of the first things any user should do when using a new piece of software.

Back