WMPlib question.

NJDubois

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm sure I have posted questions pertaining to this issue before. What is happening is I have an app I wrote in vb.net that converts audio files using opensource converters. Then the Windows Media Player library to play the mp3 back.

The problem is it doesn't read the correct audio file length, but only on some systems. For example, on my computer the program reads the correct length of 10 minutes. On another computer it reads 5 minutes. Both systems are windows 8. I'm thinking that I need to update, or replace the WMPlib.dll file on the system reading the wrong file length with a dll that reads the correct file length. If that is even the correct dll name. I can't find it anywhere. In the project development folder I have it, but I can't locate it on the target system with the issue.

How do I go about updating the target system so that when the program reads the file, it reads the correct file length? Can I replace that file with the file from my system? Is there a windows update I should run?

Thanks
Nick

[EDIT] I think I found the file. WMP.dll. It has a matching file size so I question whether that is my issue? I can't over write it from the remote desktop anyways and will have to guide the computer owner from over the phone if it is the case. Options? [EDIT]

Last edited:
More info, more direct detailed question:

I have an app in vb.net that plays mp3 files using the WMPlib. On my system the file duration reads correctly. 10 minutes and some odd seconds. On a clients system it reads as 5 minutes and some odd seconds.

When I remote into the clients system I can open the file in Windows Media player, play it and it keeps playing past the 5:xx marker. The marker stops moving, seconds stop changing, it keeps playing. If I open the same exact file on my system it reads the correct 10:xx. Really odd!

What's going on here? What do I need to do to the clients system in order to get the WMPlib reading the correct audio file duration?

I know this has something to do with \system32\WMP.dll just not sure what. The dll file size matches on the two systems. We are both running windows 8.1.

What are my options?

Back