Best way to view/print a static pdf?

Turbols1

Programming Experience
1-3
Wondering what is the best method of viewing a pdf, and adding text to the pdf, then printing it out?

Currently, I opened the pdf in Photoshop, saved it as a bitmap, made it the background image on a form, overlayed it with labels, and am using the form.print method. This isnt exactly the best way to do this. Does anyone else have any good suggestions (without spending more than say $40)?

Project Background:
I work for an aircraft manufacturer/maintainer, and every time we have a broken/removed part, I have to log into our part logistics website, then hand write a form with all the installed and broken parts info (a full page). My program parses all the necessary info from the website, then loads it into textboxes (to be modified if needed) which are then copied into the labels overlaying the image of the form I have to fill out.

When you have Adobe Reader installed you also get an ActiveX control you can add to form to display (and print) Pdf files from your application. "Choose items" for Toolbox and find "Adobe PDF Reader" in COM page listing. Then add the control to form.
VB.NET:
Me.AxAcroPDF1.LoadFile("path")
Me.AxAcroPDF1.Print()
adding text to the pdf
You have to use a library that supports editing, Adobe of course has packages for this, there are also free PDF editing libraries out there such as known iTextSharp | Get iTextSharp at SourceForge.net and PDFsharp & MigraDoc - Home.

Thanks for the info John. I tried using this control yesterday in my search, but apparently it will not work in Vista 64 bit. I have read there is a workaround for this, but havent found it yet...I will look at the other links you posted and see if I cant get something suitable.

Back