Best book for experienced VB6 programmer?

infidel

Programming Experience
10+
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looks great and I hope to learn a lot and hopefully help others along the way.

I have programmed VB since version 1.0 (!) but for the last few years my company was concentrating on Java so I have done no .NET work. (What Java did do was teach me good OO skills, so I'm grateful for that!) Recent shifts in our environment have me back working on VB and I just bought Visual Studio 2005.

So, I have over 10 years experience with VB through VB6 but none in .NET. I was wondering if there are any books specifically aimed at the experienced VB programmer coming to .NET for the first time, or failing that, any book you think would be good for someone like me. I opened one book in the store and the first chapter was "What is a computer?" I think I'd like something a little more advanced. :)

I should add that I'm looking more to learn .NET concepts, no so much port applications. I'm more likely to redesign them after learning VB.NET.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I found two free books from MS that should be relevant to you:

Introducing Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 for Developers
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/learning/introtovb2005/default.aspx
"If you currently work with Visual Basic 6, these authors fully understand the adoption and code migration issues you'll encounter. They'll step you through a quick primer on .NET Framework programming, offering guidance for a productive transition."

Free Book - Upgrading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Basic .NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/staythepath/additionalresources/upgradingvb6/default.aspx
(you might find some topics of interest here, although I usually recommend rewriting the app in .Net instead of trying to get it through some upgrade process)

Thanks a lot, John. I've already downloaded and am reading them! I'm really excited about getting back into VB and glad to be using the latest and greatest.

Back