Question Barcodes scan problem

gate7cy

Programming Experience
3-5
I am using VS 08 , crystal reports, Mysql for a small inventory system. In my case I am going to print the barcodes and also generate them. I have used various fonts and I cannot get the scanner to scan them. It scans whatever barcode I test, other than the ones that I generate. I tried printting on paper A4 and on the label A4 but not scanning. I made some mockup barcodes to test the length and characters it can read. I found out that when I enter normal, long barcodes they are not scanned. I was succesfull in scanning some 3-digit barcodes and 4-digit. I could not scan anything more. I am using Barcode39 with font size 16. I am testing the printouts on two completely different scanners. Both of them work the same in scanning my barcodes. Which that means they ony scan small character sequences. Anybody with some help. Thanks for your efforts.

I doubt this is a printing problem - it sounds more like a barcode generation / font problem. Do you have to calculate the check character manually?

1. Check your barcodes are valid - use Barcode Mill Home Page

2. Can you output your Crystal Report to PDF or JPEG and post it here? It may be the amount of whitespace around the barcode is not large enough.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried various lengths on the barcodes playing also with the font size. I manage to scan up to 6 characters. When increasing the font size I manage 5 when I decrease it does not scan anything. It does not need to calculate the check character. I am using the normal code39 with asterix * infront and end of the barcode. I am attached the pdf of a few barcodes, regular font 26. Thanks for the reply

Attachments

• barcodes.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 24
In the attachment, you havent included the human readable text - ie what the barcodes are meant to generate. However, here's what I get:-

For T-DD, it gives 1234 (no leading or trailing asterisk)
For TT-FFF, it gives 12345 (no leading or trailing asterisk)
For TTT-GF, it gives 123456 (no leading or trailing asterisk)

None of the others appear to scan.

Can you do another PDF with the human readable version of each barcode?

I manage max 7. What you get is correct. I ve attached the readable barcodes. Thanks for the good, fast replies

Attachments

• barcodesnum.pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
Furthemore I am using Crystal reports to generate label printing. I am inserting the dimensions of the labels in CR but it only allows me to print 4 labels per line even though the label paper is 5 per line. Also how can I use checkboxes to send CR the starting position to start printing and not always from the first one on the left top? Once again thanks

I went to barcodemill and tried 1234567, and it generated the image as per attachment. If you compare this to your first PDF, you will find that your example is missing 2 1/2 leading bars and 2 trailing bars. Everything in the middle is fine.

This suggests that your output field in Crystal is not physically wide enough to show all the bars required for the barcode. Try widening your field.

Attachments

• bcmill.gif
    bcmill.gif
    13 KB · Views: 31
The problem in making it wider is that I will not be able to print the whole barcode on the limited dimension the label gives me. Is there other fonts that can take long numbers and not grow so big on the sides? If not I am thinking of getting bigger labels? What you reccomend

Unfortunately, the more characters you want to store in the barcode, the longer the barcode gets :)

What is the maximum number of characters you want to store, and what is the available space in millimetres? Are you still using 13 x 5 labels as per this thread? Why cant you print the barcodes in a smaller font?

I dont use CR at all, so cant help you with that.

thanks for all the replies. I want to use 11 characters. I am willing to change my labels to get bigger labels if that is what is needed. As soon as you told me about the width I created a new CR with larger widths. I managed to scan 8 characters but the stranger thing is that I could not read 4 or less characters. That does not bother me I am just mentioning it for info. When I print using a smaller font it does not scan anything. Even though the scanners already scan smaller ( in size not in length) barcodes. How do you in printing labels if you dont use CR? Any reccomendations? thanks again.

thanks for all the replies. I want to use 11 characters. I am willing to change my labels to get bigger labels if that is what is needed. As soon as you told me about the width I created a new CR with larger widths. I managed to scan 8 characters but the stranger thing is that I could not read 4 or less characters. That does not bother me I am just mentioning it for info. When I print using a smaller font it does not scan anything.

Can you attach examples of both - the short ones that dont scan, and the ones in the smaller font that dont scan either?

How do you in printing labels if you dont use CR? Any reccomendations? thanks again.

I just use the standard VB.NET printing (and print preview) functionality. I generate my own barcodes using code to produce rectangles, and then place them on the PrintDocument as necessary :)

Thanks mate for today. I have concluded that it was the width too short. I have altered the CR to have 3 labels per line, enough for the long 11 digit barcodes. Now I can scan them. Thanks a million. Now the only thing left is to tell CR where to start printing from.
Cheers mate.

Back