Question AxAcroPDF and Progressbar

zendog1960

Programming Experience
Beginner
Good afternoon,

I have a form with an Adobe PDF reader control. I point to a specific PDF I want to load when a button is clicked. The PDF is 28 Megs big and takes some time to load into the reader. I would like a progress bar to to show (like a showdialog kind of thing) so the user does not click all over the place and thinks the app is static.

I have searched and read all about the progressbar and there are many articles dealing with downloading and moving files around but nothing in terms of file loading and how to get a progressbar to reflect the status of the file being loaded.

The PDF reader is loaded like this:

VB.NET:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Me.AxAcroPDF1.LoadFile("c:\Section3.pdf")
    End Sub

How would I update the progressbar1 control to reflect the time it takes to load? I checked the AxAcroPDFLib Namespace and found no "progresschange" type of functions or events.

Can some one please help a new guy out? I am fairly new to vb.net so please be as specific as possible.

Thanks

**Note: This is not any type of homework or assignment of any sort so please do not scold me for trying to get you all to do my homework...

John, I appreciate that you may understand MSDN however I went to the suggested link and found it to be cryptic much like the rest of MSDN. How is that page going to solve my initial question? Keep in mind I am a beginner so an example or two of some sort of file load progress bar would be extremely helpful.

As stated before, I have searched all over and found nothing relating to PDF reader specifically. Just web browsers and the moving, or copying, of files. I need help understanding what I need to do to get a progressbar to reflect the fact that the reader in my program is loading a large file so the user does not think the program crashed or got hung up.

Examples would be fantastic.

Thanks!

help said:
You can use the marquee style when you need to indicate progress is being made, without indicating the quantity of progress.
So. Since you don't have quantity of progress you can use the Marquee style. Right?

Back