Auto Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

WackoWolf

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is there a way to have auto number active for a field like Disk ID?
or do I have to have it turn on with access?

In access there is an AUTONUMBER Data Type, but I beleive that it must be set at the time you are creating the table.

A quick question, why does everyone seem insistent on using Access? MSDE is available with Visual Studio, or can be downloaded for free. MySQL can be downloaded for free, SQL Express can be downloaded for free. ALL of these options will provide a better data access experiece, and if you are trying to learn real world data access programming these will give you a MUCH better expereice on what is happening in the business world.

Access, if good only for single person applications. It is nt meant to be used on the web, or in high use scenarios.

PLEASE reconsider when you are using Access in an application, in the long run you WILL run into more problems with it such as corrupt data.

I didn't know about MSDE, is it easy to use. I will try it. The Program is for me and not a school project. You say it came with Studio, how do I go about accessing it?

Thank You
WackoWolf

MSDE is the Desktop version of SQL Server. There should be a directory called Setup under your Visual Studio .NET directory called Setup. Under that is another directory called MSDE. It will either have an install for it, or a file telling you how to get it.

WackoWolf, are you talking about setting an autoincrement column in a datatable. If so it's very simple. Each column exposes an autoincrement property so you can set this to true, also set the autoincrement step and antoincrement seed and your away. As schenz has said access has an autonumber. But of you just want to use it in your datatable then you can.

Access, if good only for single person applications. It is nt meant to be used on the web, or in high use scenarios.

Well i have to say that i've never thought this. I've developed a number of web applications that use access as a backend. Also to say that access data ends up being corrupted is completely not true if you organise your tables properly. Again i've never had any trouble with access, so i was wondering where you this information from?

Directly from Microsoft:
For performance and reliability reasons, we strongly recommend the use
of Microsoft SQL Server for the deployment of production-quality Web
applications. Although Active Server Pages works with any ODBC-compliant
database, it has been extensively tested and is designed to work with
Microsoft SQL Server. ASP also supports Microsoft Access as a valid data
source. Although the sample Web site and examples in this release use
Microsoft Access, we recommend that Microsoft Access be used solely for
development purposes and not for production. Microsoft Access was
designed as a single-user desktop database, and not for server use.
When multiple, concurrent users make requests of a Microsoft Access
database, unpredictable results may occur.
View http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q174496/

I can't argue with that. However i don't know how many real world applications you may have built, but im my experience MS Access has never been much of a problem. That particular article seems to make access out to be some kind of development toy, where that is just not the case.

I only know that in my experience when I have used Access in a multi user environment it has become corrupted, andI have had to make sure that i keep VERY up-to-date back-ups. They will be needed.

If I design a multi-user application at any time now I only use multi-user databases. Cost does not need to be an issue here either. You can get MySQL if you do not plan on selling the app. You may also use the Free MSDE or SQL express, which are watered down versions of SQL Server, but are EASILY upgraded to the full version should the need arise. They also support stored procedures and triggers, items that do not appear in Access.

I am afraid i will agree with the vis's statement that Access rocks beside the fact that many people dispraise it without experienced MSAccess in real world but they give opinion based on the read article like the one from above. Btw, i suspect in the Sincerity of the Microsoft statement from the above (can i see the link please?). Even if it was a true I wouldnt get it because it is more than clear which product brings more money for M$. To clarify, if you want to buy MSOffice then MSAccess comes together with the rest of the apps included in the package that means it doesn't need an additional marketing while MSSQL does. Simply, right?

Regards ;)

You do not need to buy SQL Server to get all the benefits of a MULTI-user database. Go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/express/default.aspx and download the FREE version of SQL Express. Yes it is a watered down version of SQL Server, but it is MULTI-user, has Stored Procedures, Triggers, and oh yeah did I mention that it is FREE? So I now have a database that is guaranteed to be more reliable in a multi-user environment, has full T-SQL Support, can be upgraded EASILY if I need to, and oh yeah did I mention that it was FREE?

Why would I use Access?

Can you tell me why not?
However, it seems that you haven't read entirely my last reply as you didn't answer all my questions and also you didn't provide me the asked link.
Hmmm ... do i have to point out that i am Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) but i never forced people to use MSSQL as well as i never brought in relation these two MS's products (except when i was forced to take a side). In my opinion both MSSQL and MSAccess have taken their places under The sky and it's up to taste, circumstances and situation which one will be used in your project/s :) (say i have to make a small project as dictionary is ... why i would go for FREE version of SQL Express?). Sorry if i said something bad here it is not my intention ... i guess you know that :)

Regards ;)

SQL server and MSAcess

You might use Access when you have relatively few users, or a relatively small dataset. You might use Access when you need easier ad hoc reporting, or easier user interface design

and on the other hand
Access was not relational untill Access 2000 so there is no comparison. SQL Server comes with Small business server so there is no reason to use Access. If you create crude applications maybe you can use Access because I know of an Access database a consultant was hired to clean up two years ago and he is still there. Hope this helps

also you can check this websites for more information
http://www.mssqlcity.com/Articles/Compare/SQLvsAccess.htm
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1490561
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6313_11-5034390.html

you can send any question you like to ask , but remmber that this discussion can take a lot of time , because to make it clear for every body ,you have to know that this only on the project requirments , and the needs of the client , and you as system analysist you have to figure what is the best solution , advantages , disadvantages , maintenance plan ,for even if you are using SQL server you have to arrange for maintanance plan not only with MS acess , and i think somebody (forgive me because i can not remmber ) said that with MS Access you can have a courpt data , you have to know that there is something called MAINTENANCE PLAN for it , because there is a lot of issues you have to take with MS SQL you never think about with MS Access .
So that is it Guys both of them are perfect but it is all depend on the solution architecture ,requirments and users scalability

Michael Louis Gabriel
Senior Programer
MCSD, MCAD
Gaeasoft Group
http://www.gaeasoft.net
mgabriel@gaeasoft.net

I noticed that almost all of you bring conclusions based on someone's articles and statements (copy/paste manner). vis781 asked but nobody gave the answer how many real world (MSAccess driven) applications you may have built so, after some considerations, i will lock up this thread before it goes to off topic ...
Hope you don't mind ... btw, all of us had an opportunity to explain why MSAccess is soooo bad. Personaly i think that there is no reason at all why MSAccess should be with so bad reputation (especially not that bad like some of you described it).

Happy coding ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back