Audio feedback on every button.

jwh

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi guys.

I am developing a touchscreen application with many buttons on the forms.

What I am wondering, as whether there is a way to give feedback to the user that their input has been recognised?

e.g. My app will be used for ordering products.
If the user taps the touchscreen, but there is a delay in adding that information to the "products ordered" list, they may tap it again, thus ordering it twice.

However, if the system was to make a loud click or beep each time a button was pressed, this should help eliminate the issue.

I was wondering, is there a way to implement this for the entire app, or am I looking at having to put a line of code in for each and every button etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, it would be easier and wiser to use the button class jmcilhinney made for you.

I was just answering his last post and didn't see that you already answered that very question.

It actually doesn't take very long, it's pretty much instant.

It's just that with EPOS systems, the users are used to having a beep for every press, and so they might not like a silent system.

I used to be head of HCI for an EPOS company. There were only a few situations where I advocated the use of audio. Part of the motivation came from being a regular customer at a petrol station whose tills made a different noise for every event; a user lifting the petrol nozzle, replacement, sale completion, finger tap, button press..

I dont see any reason why you cannot devolve the responsibility to windows, however; each button click can be themed to make a noise and the user has the option of changing or removing noises via the control panel

Its a wheel you dont really need to reinvent, but I do urge you to use your system in the environment for which it is intended; the petrol station in question has only one staff member who has no complaints with the system. Intriguingly, she is deaf. :)

Back